1. What Cancers Do We Treat?
Dr. Sugarbaker is a surgical oncologist who specializes in the treatment of these gastrointestinal cancers:
- Appendiceal Cancer
- Pseudomyxoma Peritonei
- Colorectal Cancer
He also treats:
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- Ovarian/Fallopian Cancer
- Peritoneal Metastases from Sarcoma
- And other rare Cancers
2. What Treatments are Provided?
This clinical finding require a comprehensive treatment of extensive (cytoreductive) surgery combined with heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC).
The surgeries are as extensive as required to offer a curative intent treatment option. Since surgery alone cannot provide a complete removal of the tumors spread throughout the abdominal cavity, the additional of a 90-minute warm chemotherapy bath is added to the surgery to eliminate tiny tumors and tumors too small to see.
Patients are carefully selected for these surgeries as there are many factors which need to be considered. For more information, contact the office at 202-877-3908 and speak to the Clinical Coordinator.
- Type of Cancer
- Type of Pathology
- Extent of Disease
- Lymph Node Involvement
- Performance Status
- Spread to other Parts of the Body (Liver, Lung, Brain)
- Number of Prior Surgeries
- Other Complicating Factors
3. Frequently Asked Questions?
For most patients the process starts by calling our office at 202-877-3908 and speaking to the Clinical Coordinator, Ilse.
The caller will be asked to send specific information to be evaluated for this type surgery before traveling to DC. The most common initial questions patients, spouses, relatives, or concerned friends have are:
- Does Dr. Sugarbaker still accept new patients?
- Does he accept my insurance?
- How much does this surgery cost?
- Can he evaluate my case?
- Can he give me a 2nd opinion?
- Is there an age limit to this extensive surgery combined with HIPEC?
- Can I come to the clinic visit and have the surgery all in one trip?
- How long will I be in the hospital?